Saturday, August 8, 2009

How can I lose weight when I am taking Zoloft?

I started gaining weight when i started taking the medicine Zoloft, now it seems I cannot lose it no matter how I try.
Answer:
I hate to be blunt, but you can't. I've been on SSRIs for many years, and gained roughly 60 lbs. My doctor and I have tried everything (low cal. low carb, weight training and strenuous cardio) with no results. The problem is that the SSRIs effect your body in ways other than just improving mood. Not everyone gains weight on SSRIs, but for those of us that do... let's just say it really comes on fast and in massive quantities. My suggestion is to speak with your doctor about perhaps trying a different class of medications... There are some out there that don't cause weight (wellbutrin is one example...)I've written other posts about this, so you might find some other information there if you do a search... Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment